Wednesday, December 6, 2006

Perspective-The relationship of aspects of a subject to each other and to a whole; a view or vista. Going up to Montmarte with the Sacre Coeur overlooking the city of Paris gives one a different perspective of the city. It’s not just filled with crazy French taxi drivers, people on motorcycles who use the sidewalk as another lane and the many tourist walking around in awe…there is another side to the city. It is made up of villages. The city of Paris

is divided up into 20 arrondissement or small neighborhoods which give it a village like feel. I wanted to go back to Montmarte because it has a view that can’t be beat but also because there was no way I was going near the ‘Red light’ district alone. David had the morning off and he came with me. Here are some awesome views from the top of the hill.


We had lunch at a small café near the park where artists sell their works. I tried to buy one but there was no way I was going to pay 50 euros for it, even if it is an original. Where would I put it in my already cramped room? Now if I had a house with some room perhaps, but I don’t so I just watched them paint. There were plenty of tourists walking around looking at these artisans work. It still had the same feeling in the days of Monet or Van Goh. Lunch was Burgundy beef stew and potatoes with a Nutella crepe for dessert. The beef stew was actually pretty good, you could taste the wine flavoring used in the stew but there was no alcohol taste. The dessert was delicious, I had herd that Nutella was better than peanut butter and I have to agree. It is this nice thick chocolate spread!

David and I wandered around the back area of Sacre Coeur and found the vineyard that most people miss when they visit. Unfortunately it was closed so we couldn’t go in, not even to the museum area. We walked around the vineyard and I saw the buildings, which gave the area its village feel. Then we rounded a corner and there it was…the vine covered walk that was in a scene of “Sabrina” with Julia Ormond and Harrison Ford. It was when Sabrina was sent to Paris to work for Paris Vogue and she meets her boss who is this single lady. The boss talks to Sabrina and makes a comment about how Sabrina seems to be afraid of being alone. They get to know each other better during their walks and one scene had this vine covered walkway with the Sacre Coeur in the background. It was pretty awesome walking through there, I’m sure the place would be more beautiful in the spring time when the flowers are in bloom. But there was a park area with a nice view of the city.

Then I had to go back because I had a hair appointment with the salon next to my hotel. David had to go study for finals the next day so that worked out well. I had an interesting experience while I was trying to make it to my appointment. My metro train had some problems and they were trying to re-route it but it just wasn’t making it on time. So I decided to leave the Metro and just grab a cab. The nice thing was right outside the Metro exit was a cab that was free, so I get in and show the driver where I want to go with the Art wise map I had with me. He was trying to figure out how to get there and compare it with his map that he had when this lady rushes up to the cab. She tells the driver (in French) how she is in dire needs to get to the hospital and it was an emergency. The driver tells here that he already has a fare and if she didn’t mind sharing the cab with me he could take us both. Well the girl hops in and says something to me in French to which I replied in my horrible American accent that I only speak a little French. Now by this time I had already missed my hair appointment that was set for 3:30pm and it was like 3:35pm. (You all know how anal I am about time!). Well I figure that since the lady had an emergency that the cabbie would go to the hospital first. Imagine my surprise when he pulls up to the intersection of the street where the salon was. I felt like I was in a really bad tourist commercial! I got out of the cab and paid the cabbie probably more than the ride was worth but it was only 5euros, so I figure it’s not bad, rushed down the street and enter the salon in a tizzy. In my very limited French I told the lady how I’m very sorry and that my train was late. She just gives me that puzzled smile that most French people give tourist who can’t speak the language a lick (I’ve gotten my fair share of those looks!) and takes my coat. Then she puts a pink robe around me and guides me to where the shampoo area is. I was the only person in the salon so this was nice. The night before I had written that I wanted layers added and so I pulled out my little notebook and showed her what I meant to say, since she didn’t understand it apparently. She then gets a book and shows me a picture, to which I agree. Next thing I know 2-3 inches of my hair are falling down. I just took my glasses off and hoped that the haircut turns out okay. She cut; blow dried and styled my hair for a reasonable price. When she was done I rather liked the haircut. It’s different and makes my face look different but I think it was high time for a change. I really liked the bouncy feel of my hair and the lightness, but knowing how wavy it gets we’ll see tomorrow if I turn out looking like Shirley Temple!

After the haircut I went to see the Walt Disney exhibition in the Grand Palais. It was pretty cool. They didn’t have the lithograph of the Beauty and the Beast scene I wanted but then I’ve yet to find it. Afterward I did some last minute shopping and grabbed a cab ride home. I figure it was time to eat at the café around the corner where the front desk guy recommended my first day here. I got the soup of the day for starters, which was this white cream based soup with pieces of ham and some crunchy stuff and paprika. Delicious! The main meal was just omelets with cheese and it was very filling. I decided to have dessert which was Ile Flottant and it was basically this meringue floating on a cream and honey sauce. It was so sweet that it gave me a tooth ache and I had to ask for a second bottle of water. Fortunately my hotel was three doors down and I could brush my teeth afterwards!


1 comment:

Blakemore Family said...

PICTURES OF YOUR HAIR, PLEASE!!!