Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Chicken Soup for the Soul write about Dispatchers

The voice on the other end of the 911 line is a person,too
By: Sheri L. Emard

"Nurture your mind with great thoughts:
to belive in the heroic makes heroes."~Benjamin Disraeli

You don't know me. I am the nameless, faceless voice that answer when you dial 911. You don't know that I chose this career; working weird hours-nights, weekends and holidays. You don't know that my job satisfaction comes from knowing that I might have helped you in some small way.

You don't know that I go through months and years of intense training and testing to become proficient. You don't know that I am tested monthly on procedures just in case you might be hearing-impaired.

You don't know me, and you don't care about any of these things.

What you do know is that you need help, NOW, for your friend, your loved one or someone in need. You don't understand why I msut ask so many questions. You don't know that I am responsible for protecting police officers, firefighters, paramedics and others who will be responding to your request for help.

You get angry with all my questions, frantically thinking that I haven't sent anyone to help you yet. You want me to make your situation better-NOW! You don't understand why it seems to be taking so long.

You don't understand why I must immediately take charge of the conversation, telling you what to do until help arrives. I try to calm you down, reassuring you while processing the call. I know that you are scared and not thinking clearly; I know that you don't mean to be rude. I don't take anything you say personally, nor do I let any of it affect my response to your need for assistance.

Once the officers, firefighters or paramedics arrive, you probably won't even remember talking to me on the phone.

I don't know you either. I don't know what you look like. I don't know your family or friends, but I am concerned about your situation just the same.

With each call, I say a little prayer that those involved will be safe. I also pray that I have done my job properly, drawing from endless training to ensure the best possible outcome.

You don't know me. I chose to be the nameless, faceless voice on the other end of the phone. I pray that you never need to call me, but hope you will take comfort in knowing that I am always just three digits away. In case of emergency, just call me-911.

No comments: