Thursday, September 4, 2008

A great overtime

Tonight I had a great time working overtime at work. Normally I just go in, do my job and leave thinking of the extra cash I just earned for an up coming trip or something. Tonight however turned out to be a great night! First off I got to work the Officer Request station which I haven't had a chance to sit in since I started training this summer after my promotion. Then one of the guys in radio was not feeling well and so I offered to switch with him. He took me up on the offer and I got to be in radio dispatching for his end of the shift. When graveyards came in the gal who was supposed to take my radio channel decided to stay out on phones and let me keep it. Man was I happy! Moving to day-shift was a change in how thing worked and the two days I worked on Days were rather boring with not much radio traffic. But my overtime was on swingshift and those guys keep you going at a steady pace, if it starts to lag they run vehicles and do vehicle stops. However the best part of my night was yet to come. Near the end of my shift one of the units got into a pursuit for a few minutes and it was my first pursuit since I finalized. I was a tad nervous and had a quick brain freeze in the midst of it, fortunately my colleague who was monitoring the channel next to me helped out. So it was a pretty good pursuit and mhy sergeant said I did a good job. (She had her radio up in the other room so the call takers could hear it all, including my last trainer and he said I did a good job on it too). But I was just excited that I totally didn't mess up on my first pursuit and walked out at the end of shift with a BIG smile on my face. =) What a great night!

No comments: