Thursday, November 23, 2006

Thanksgiving Meal





I woke up this morning around 5am because I had told my mother this year I would do the cooking and she could have a break. Hahahaha! Boy did I not know what I was up against! I had orginally wanted to make the whole meal from scratch. Inspired by Alton Brown on the FoodNetwork about using a brine instead of basting the turkey I went to work. The day before I had put the turkey in the brine mix and tucked the bucket in the coldest part of the house-the mud room. Also I had mashed the sweet potato before hand to save myself some time since we had a Thanksgiving Service at church. Yes, our church has a service on Thanksgiving day and I know most people spend the whole day with their families but this is a tradition with us. (Plus the one time I worked on Thanksgiving day I discovered that sometimes one day is too much with family members since they do call the police to help mediate the family feud.) I ended up just making the sweet potatoe casserole, peach cobbler, green bean casserole and turkey from scratch. Both the stuffing and the mashed potatoes were from a box and let's not even go to the gravey. (Perhaps next year it will turn out better. I have a whole year to practice getting it right.)
So how did the meal end up? Well the turkey was gone, the mashed potatoes and green beans had half gone and only an 1/8th of the sweet. Here's the thing about My People that I forgot...if it doesn't go with rice it won't get eaten as quickly!

2 comments:

Farm Girl in MD said...

Looks delicious, Jica! I can't say I did any of the Thanksgiving cooking. I just help clean up :) Have fun in Paris!!!

J&K Blakemore said...

Cooking is a science, not an art. I hate it when people say they "can't cook", especially moms/wifes. It is just that they DON'T cook, therefore have no experience in the experimentation process.

If you are interested, you can contribute to Cynettas and my tasty recipe blog at www.excellentwife.blogspot.com. Let me know and I can set you up as a contributor.