Thursday, January 18, 2007

Beach day & San Jose

Since I didn't get much of a weekend last week, having been assigned to go to a mandatory 'sexual harassment and discrimination' class. Then on the one night I thought I would have off, I had to pay back my shift trade. So I wanted for this weekend to go to the beach. I told Anne about it and she found out that there are two lighthouses in Santa Cruz. So we coordinated our days off and decided to go to the beach today. The weather certainly wasn't going to stop us, jackets have been invented to keep the cold out. Actually, the weather at the beach was pretty nice, in the mid-50's and windspeed of 3mph. It was a nice day to just go and watch the surfers, the birds, the boats and listening to the ocean waves as it hits land.

Then for dinner we met up with my cousins, Adrian and Ryan. It was a sushi weekend, so we went to Blowfish Sushi (355 Santana Rowe #1010, San Jose, Ca 408-345-FUGU) where my cousin works. Now Anne doesn't really do raw fish, so we had mostly cooked items. But my cousins were used to the whole raw fish thing and they orderd the sashimi combination platter. The dish came on top of a bowl of ice and there was another bowl underneath that which had dry ice so you got the whole billowing effect. It was pretty cool to look at and if you like the whole raw fish sushi, it was tastey. I'm still tasting things and figuring out what I like and don't like. So far I like ahi, salmon, tuna (seared though) and I don't like raw mackrel. The desert at Blowfish was this green tea ice cream over green tea cheesecake, which was delicious! (apparently it's a house special recipe). Also we had this desert where they carmelized the banana and wraped it in a crepe, then it was topped off with leyche ice cream. Yummy! I didn't really get a clear picture because I didn't want to blind the other tables with the very bright flash of my camera. But the sugar work on the desert was pure artistry! And hanging out with my cousins was fun too, the waiter was hilarious and kept us in stiches everytime he came over. Overall it was a great day!




1 comment:

Blakemore Family said...

I had sushi once. It was nasty.

I wish you and Anne were on the east coast. Then we could do cool, fun stuff together. I will just have to be adventurous vicariously.

Also, have you ever seen The Office? It made me laugh when you mentioned your discrimination and sexual harassment seminar because it reminded me on an episode. If you have never watched it, you should. You would enjoy it!