Monday, March 30, 2009

Weekend in VA

This weekend I drove 7 hours to VA so I can visit my old roommate and friend KB. I haven't seen KB since she was a newlywed and kids free. These days she has two adorable kids and I'm so thankful she blogs so I can keep up with her. The drive was long and Friday it was raining from Greenville, SC to VA. All through North Carolina I didn't see much since it was such a torrential down pour that I can barely see the cars ahead of me. Then just as I crossed over the VA state line there was a "traffic jam" which made me laugh because it was a two lane highway and all traffic was at a standstill. A trip that mapquest said would take me 7hours 21 minutes ended up being about 8 hours. But it was lovely seeing KB and her family, the kids were still up when I pulled in and I got attend their bedtime routine which included prayer and a Bible story. It was so refreshing to see godly parenting!

Saturday Laura came up and we all (with the exception of Jon, KB's hubby who had to work) went to the Marine Corp musuem. Michael was fascinated with what he saw and I must say I was very inspired. It made me want a Marine! LOL But seriously the museum is worth visiting if you're near Quantico. First off it is FREE admission and then you learn about the history of the Marine Corps. They had lectures too, which was interesting but you needed more time to sit in and actually listening. I thought it was rather concidential that the lecture of the afternoon was the Irish in the Marine! But I didn't last long since there was more to see and of course a gift shopt to visit! =)

Life size images of Marines getting out of a helicopter.


This man is a statue!





After the museum we went to the mall where Michael got his own Build-A-Bear. He chose a stuffed doggy with a police uniform. The naming part was a bit tough since Michael had all sorts of ideas on what to call his new toy from Boney to Bob Jones, KB finally settled for Sebastian. =)





We stopped off at the Home show where Jon was working and walked around for a bit. It was cool how some of the booths were elaborately set up with a full fountain or patio sets. Michael was fascinated by the fake fireplaces. Then it was back home for dinner, put the kids to bed and a few hours of Dutch Blitz. I must say I got caught up with my lack of Dutch Blitz in years just this weekend! Boy did that bring back some memories of mid-terms and finals at college. =)




Jon and his business


Michael copying the frog pose

Sunday was church then lunch at Olive Garden. Laura had to go home so we took afternoon naps, myself included =) which was nice in KB's couch in the great room. Got an evening service in and then I was taken to a Fredricksberg landmark, Carl's Ice Cream. That was some delicious ice cream and the place has been there since the 1950's apparently. They were still using the same ice cream maker so it definitely had the old fashion feel, too bad I left my camera in the car. But it was so quaint and very All-American to go get ice cream after church =) gave me that warm fuzzy feeling I thought I'd lost due to the harshness of my job. It's nice knowing you can still feel that way around good wholesome people!




Needless to say I had a great weekend! It was fun seeing KB again and getting to know her adorable kids. They were such a joy to be around. KB and Jon are doing some wonderful parenting where they're not afraid to discipline and correct their children. I've never known someone so young who could just start to talk say the "magic word" of please and thank you at that age. That is such a rare thing to find in this day and age.

No comments: