Thursday, October 25, 2007

Culture Shock

One of the greatest pre-trip tools I use is the Culture Shock books. Reading up on the culture of the country I will be visiting helps me understand it so much better. I am equipped to see the country and how they do things without being too overwhelmed on how different it is from American culture. Right now I am currently reading "Culture Shock:Thailand" and it is very fascinating. The whole Asian 'saving face' custom is so prevalent in Thailand from what the book is explaining. One of the motto that the country has is "a country of a thousand smiles".

Now from reading the travel books there are basically two things a person will decided after spending time in Bangkok. You will either love it or hate it, and my Culture Shock book gives the same resounding thought. I am only half way through reading the book but so far it has provided me with some enlightenment on the culture and how things are the way they are. I only wish I could've found the Culture Shock book for China and that they made one for Cambodia. Right now my only perspective on Cambodia is that they have a bloody history. As for Hong Kong my thoughts are that it seems like a Westernized Asian country, trying to blend two very different things together and turn it into something harmonious and beautiful. So right now my only background information is for Bangkok. The other two places I will visit (especially Cambodia)will just have to surprise me. But then again that is one of the great things about traveling, the unexpected experiences.

No comments: