Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Just Jane

I have been a big fan of Jane Austen's work ever since I read Pride & Prejudice and fell in love with Mr. Darcy. That book got me hooked on her writing and I continued on reading Sense & Sensibility, Mansfield Park, Northanger Abbey, Emma, Lady Susan and Sandition. My favorite hero's are Mr. Darcy in P&P and Mr. Knightly in Emma, I like how they are so secure in who they are and their place in this world yet it isn't like they are perfect because they still have flaws. Their counterparts are rather inspiring ladies too. Elizabeth Bennett with her strong personality and Emma, a character you could watch grow into maturity while reading her story, they both balance out the men they fall in love with.

I just finished reading this book, Just Jane:A novel of Jane Austen's Life by Nancy Moser. Now I've read books on people writing about what happened to the main character or secondary character in Jane Austen's books. For the most part they are ok and a decent reading but the writing style is still different and the characters don't seem like they are in the original book that Jane wrote. But this book Just Jane focuses on the author herself and is like an autobiography in fictional form. The book starts when Jane is around 20 or so and doesn't really mention her childhood unless it is a memory. I won't spoil it for you but I must say that the author does use letter written by Jane Austen and spins a good story about how Jane truly became a writer. She doesn't just portray Jane as a "perfect" character but shows her flaws like all human beings. You can read about how selfish Jane was at times and how her relationship with her sister-in-laws and parents. But at the same time the author does a good job of portraying the passion Jane has for writing and how the characters in her stories grow in her mind.

It was an excellent book and I highly recommend it. It is a nice night time, right before bed and relaxing reading.

3 comments:

Blakemore Family said...

Have you not read Persuasion?!?! GASP! It is definitely my favorite Austen work, and you MUST read it!

Smallworldtraveler said...

KB..I knew I forgot to list a book! Yes, I've read Persuasion. It is definitely on my top three Jane Austen books. I also enjoyed the DVD, which brought tears to my eyes when I saw the letter the Captain wrote to Anne.

Joel, Christine, William and Bethany said...

Thank you for the book recommendation you gave... I will have to pick it up. I recently watched the movie Becoming Jane, and I have always been interested in her life... She is my absolute favorite and read and re read her books over and over again!!