Monday, July 16, 2007

Ohau day 1

My dad almost changed his mind this morning due to pre-flight jitters. But we made it to the airport and through boarding with very little drama. I did see a co-worker who was supposed to be on the flight after me but she was able to get on my flight as well. We flew Hawaiian airlines and I must say that there isn't much space in the economy class for you "normal" sized big people, fortunately I am so small that it was ok. My parents and brother sat two rows ahead of me and on the other side of the plane. Which was a good thing cause my mom apparently was camera happy and caught my brother sleeping. =) I tried to catch up on some sleep but to no avail, it was cat naps all the way. I had arranged for a lei greeting with my travel agent when we arrived at the airport and it was so worth looking touristy. =)

I must say that I was rather surprised at the long wait for a rental car. We waited over 30 minutes before a car was available and then to drive through the Honolulu highway was an adventure itself. They have very small merge lanes, it is like immediately you merge on the freeway, there is no smoothness or flow. My brother was intrigued with the names of streets and I know I butchered saying them. The drive to our hotel was pretty and we got to see some of the various sides to Oahu. I had heard of the Pali look out and since it was on the way to the Windward side of the Island, so we had to make a stop. Of course Sebastien was not just going
sit in the car. The wind was really blowing but you got a great view of the South-West side of Oahu.

Our hotel is very, very nice! It is just like the pictures. Our room faces the pool side with a view of the ocean. They have a nice cove area where you can swim and plenty of kids running around. This is definitely a family friendly resort! Instead of eating at one of the restaurants on property, we opted to just have room service so we could sleep afterwards. I asked my brother what he wanted for dinner and he saw that they served lamb, which he had never tasted before, so that is what we ordered. My parents didn't want anything heavy so they opted for some soup and baked clams. I saw that they had tiramisu, so that was our dessert. The food was delicious! The lamb was crusted with some guava and had a nice dark sauce along with some baby carrots and asparagus. The baked clams had this nice white sauce with just the right amount of spiciness to it. Dessert was just divine!

No comments: