Monday, July 23, 2007

Pearl Harbor

We woke up early this morning so we could be among the first people in line to Pearl Harbor. I had heard from some people that the lines are really long and you spend all day there but if you got there around 6:30 am you would be out by 11 am. We left the hotel around 6 o’clock and were in line by about 6:45am. There was a line already but we made it with about 30 people in front of us. The memorial park usually opens around 8 am but they opened the gates to get the ticket (which was free!) around 7:45 am. The ticket tells you what group you are in and we were fortunately in group one. Before you get on a boat that will take you to the USS Arizona memorial you have to see a movie in their theater that tells you all about Pearl Harbor. The video had clips from both USA and Japan side and collaborated together to form a very informative movie. I got goose bumps when they showed the film of the bombings and destruction. They even had clips of both Hitler and the Japanese Prime Minister together. Once you see the film you take a short boat ride across the harbor on to the memorial. There were 29 Marines from the USS Arizona that survived the attack on Pearl Harbor and as they each die, they requested their ashes to be thrown out over the USS Arizona so that they could be with their fellow soldiers who died on board ship. It is very solemn walking around the Memorial, everyone is so quiet and it just makes you think. The sacrifices of those men buried below you so you could be free, the cost of that freedom and what it takes to keep it. It made me proud to be an American and to see those men in uniform so willing to serve their country. The war going on right now with all those people protesting against it makes me wonder. Do they not realize the fact that they can protest against the war is because men and women are serving our Armed Forces and sacrificing themselves to keep our freedom of speech? How insipid they seem! The fact that people i.e. Jay Leno, David Letterman, etc. can joke about the president without fear for their lives or their families is a gift that most people now a days take for granted. Okay, I could go on about this top but I will stop my digression.



After Pearl Harbor it was around 9:30 am, since Jeriah and I didn’t eat breakfast on our way to the restaurant where I wanted to eat lunch (Sam Choy’s) we pulled over to a McDonald’s. And yes, I try to avoid McDonald’s when I’m traveling abroad but technically Hawaii is part of the USA and so I wasn’t breaking my own self imposed rules. But they have Taro Pie here and let me just say that my mouth was in utopia this morning. Taro is a root vegetable that they cut into small bite size pieces with some sugar and then make it into a pie. It is so yummy! My brother kept moaning in delight with each piece. We found the restaurant, Sam Choy, which was recommended to me by a friend from work. When I looked it up in my “Oahu revealed” book and they gave it a good recommendation and mentioned a ship inside the restaurant. They do have a small fishing boat in the restaurant and plenty of tables. The food was pretty good, nothing spectacular and it came in a large size. I am a foodie and to me food isn’t just “food” it has to be an experience. You could have this little shack on the side of the road that serves you some good food and that in itself is an experience which beats out a fancy high priced restaurant with poor service and bad food. I have found that in most American food place they don’t know how to make the food look good. What I learned in Paris is that food doesn’t have to just be appealing to the taste buds but also to the eyes, the place adds the sense of hearing to your dining experience.

My mom wanted to go visit the International Market and get some souvenirs before dinner. I wanted to go find where “Duke’s” Restaurant is so we split up. Dukes is located right at the beach! And that was when Jeriah and I first stepped onto Waikiki beach. I must say that the only thing that impressed me about that beach was the fact that there were so many people on it. A mass of humanity! But the view of Diamond Head was gorgeous. Then we found my parents in the Market bargaining. It was rather amusing to see. But they got some touristy t-shirts and some Hawaiian print shirts. Dinner was room service out on our balcony with a view of the Ocean. J

Mom and I went for a walk after dinner to check out the Waikiki night scene. So many people around! There were various entertainers around and plenty of places to spend your money. Word of advice here, carry cash and keep the credit cards locked up in the safe. Otherwise you would be spending a lot of money and not realize it until you get back home and receive your bills! I thought I learned my lesson last time but I guess I didn’t. Oh well. The day of shopping was exhausting!

No comments: