Monday, July 23, 2007

Thursday

Today we left the North Shore. I was sad to leave Turtle Bay; the North Shore was so peaceful and calm. Just the kind of vacation I had in mind when I planned this, calm and relaxation first before the hustle and bustle of city life. We went down the highway on the Windward side (East) of the island. I planned to visit the Valley of the Temple, which has a replica of an old Japanese temple built in the 900’s and without using any nails. The place is situated at the foot of the mountains and you could still see some clouds from the Morning’s rain lingering around. It was very picturesque. After the Valley of Temples we stopped at Foster's Botanical Garden. My mom grows orchids and enjoys gardening. This stop was for her. We saw various flora that grow in the tropical climate of Hawaii.

We stayed at the Sheraton Princess Kiualani. I had requested a deluxe ocean view room and I must say that our view was spectacular! We had a view of the ocean and the beach was just across the street from us. The room was spacious but it was on the top floor of the old wing. We met up with the rest of the family in front of the King Kamehameha statue right across from the Ioalani Palace.

What people say about Waikiki is all true. It is busy and full of life, lots of noise and very expensive. There are name brand stores around here but then there is the ABC store, which is a local chain and just about everywhere in the city. I like that store it is cheap and full of kitschy stuff. But tomorrow is a busy day; we have Pearl Harbor and then shopping. I need to get brown sandals and a pink shawl for the wedding.


No comments: