Friday, May 2, 2008

Aussie TV Shows

Okay I'm going to admit it, I'm addicted to Aussie TV mini-dramas. I don't know why but I just am! It all started when I was just surfing around youtube looking up shows this one Australian actress was in and that was when I discovered McLeod's Daughter. Which is a television drama set on an Australian rural property with two half-sisters running the property inherited from their father with an all-female workforce. This show was filmed in Southern Australia and set in a fictional farm called 'Drovers'. Just seeing the scenery of the rolling hills where the farm is set was enough to capture my attention, the plot was also pretty good about strong capable women dealing in a mostly men's world of farming. So that was my first glimpse of Aussie TV. =)

Then Nickelodean had introduced a new show this Spring called H2O Just Add Water and when I did a little more research in found that it was set in the Gold Coast. I mean just looking at the background made me want to jump on a plane and fly down to Australia to swim! But the plot is this: Emma, Cleo and Rikki are sixteen year old girls growing up on the sun-drenched beaches of the Gold Coast. Emma is confident and athletic, Cleo is slightly insecure and awkward while Rikki is the aloof and rebellious new girl. Because of Rikki, the girls find themselves stranded at sea one day, floating towards the mysterious Mako Island. The three girls find themselves exploring the eerie jungle-covered island before becoming trapped in an ancient cavern under a volcano. Discovering an underwater channel, they decide to swim to safety. As they enter the pool, the light from a full moon illuminates the water, creating a mysterious glow. Emma, Cleo and Rikki get off the island as fast as they can and back to "normal" life. However, the girls discover life is never going to be normal again; ten seconds after they touch water, they turn into mermaids. After further experimentation, they find they have supernatural powers; Emma can freeze water, Rikki can boil water and Cleo can turn a drop of water into a bucketful and mould it into any shape. The girls enlist the help of their friend Lewis, who considers himself a scientist, and he attempts to discover the secret behind their transformations. Everyday situations turn tricky as the girls struggle to cope with their new-found powers, which have numerous advantages and disadvantages, while also trying to keep them a secret from everyone else.

So now I was hooked to two Aussie TV shows but that isn't the end. While looking around youtube for more glimpse of those two shows I found a third Aussie TV Show called Blue Water High. Blue Water High is an Australian television drama series. Each season follows the lives of a young group of students at Solar Blue, a high-performance surf academy where several lucky 16-year-olds are selected for a 12-month-long surfing program on Sydney's northern beaches. Now I came in on season 3 of this show but so far from what I've read and seen, it looks really good. Made me wish I could swim so then I'd be able to learn how to surf!

I've found these Aussie TV shows to be wholesome, fresh and yet maintain a decent plot compared to some of the TV shows they are currently showing in the US. But of course watching all these shows has already gotten my travel bug desiring to really see and experience the world 'Down Under'. So perhaps my plans of not hitting Australia for a few more years may have to change. Anyways, next year I was planning to head West since this year I'm headed East to Spain! Who knows? I'll just keep you all updated. =) But for now I'm open to learning more about shows set around the world to keep my travel appetite going!

No comments: