Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Lavender


"lavender, sweet lavender;
come and buy my lavender,
hide it in your trousseau, lady fair.
Let its flovely fragrance flow
Over your from head to toe,
Lightening on your eyes, your cheek, your hair."

~Cumberkand Clark Flower Song Book 1929

"Lavender's blue, dilly dilly,
Lavender's green.
When you are King, dilly dilly,
I shall be Queen." ~The Ordinary Princess, M.M. Kaye

I had my mom plant some lavender this spring and last year too. There is just something so soothing about the scent of lavender and in out of my favorite books, The Ordinary Princess, there is that quote above. So this afternoon I went into our garden to gather up some Lavender that I plan on using as scents in the house and potpourri. A little research online showed me what I needed to do. After cutting the flowers with a good length of stem so that it would be easier to tie them together with a rubber band, the bunches were hung in a cool dark spot that has good air circulation. The instructions says to wait 30 days for the lavender plant to dry completely and the put it in a satchel or glass jar. I can hardly wait!


The plant from last year's which didn't get harvested, so it looks frailer.

The plant in full bloom in the garden.

Hung in the coat closet where it is cool, dark and yet has some air circulation.

No comments: